"...box ticking prevails..."
HRIA methodology should:
- Use objective, liable data - emotional and political issue
- Be comprehensive - all rights
- Be transparent - analysis must be transparent about why your findings are what they are
- Listen to rights holders
- Clearly rate positive and negative impacts - untangle and show them both, can work in tension with each other
What value does HRIA add?
Came to this as a sceptic
Example: Green Resources, forest action project in Tanzania
- All public and internal documentation made it look excellent
- Ask workers the working conditions were poor
- Poor housing, sanitation and drinking water
- Done by NGO company reacted negatively
- Later company changed many aspects including pay.
Example: Paladin, uranium mine in Malawi
- Public criticism but had undocumented positive impacts
- HRIA helped improve processes further
- HRIA showed positive impacts
- People laid off also had positive things to say.
- But some local communities do face traffic and increase in local prices.
- HRIA analyses things not picked up in other assessments.
- Can benefits businesses