Key ways to assess this:
- Can measure direct levels of air pollution
- Cam measure indirectly via modelling
- Relationship between ambient levels of air pollution and school children's health in Viseu in Portugal.
- 60 asthmatic children we studied
- The micro environments and daily activities were studied.
- Air quality sampling in schools and in homes
- Medical tests to evaluate the respiratory function of the children
- Most children spend time indoors at home and at school
- Findings: winter PM10 greater than 50ug m3 (WHO annual threshold 20ug m3)
- Potential effect of forest fires on firefighters based on personal exposure measurements, fire characteristics, air pollutant levels in experimental and wildfires.
- Exposure standards were exceeded to CO and NO2 in experimental fires.
- Only CO in wildfires.
- Evaluate industrial workers exposure to air pollution and health outcomes
- Children affected by high levels of indoor air pollutants
- Firefighters are also affected by air pollution
- Industrial workers so far in the analysis are not exposed to higher levels of air pollution.
- Projects show the value of environmental and health professionals coming together to look at health impacts.