Policy decisions around energy will significantly affect our use - production and consumption.
Example: India phasing out kerosene lamps with LEDS.
3 examples of energy and health decisions.
Example 1: Green urban transport can reduce chronic disease, injuries and improve health equity.
- Transport reliant on private vehicles increases congestion, pollution and physical inactivity.
- Avert 1 million deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer (mostly women).
- 20-60% of health clinics in 5 African countries had no electricity at all.
- 5-12% lacked access to clean water because no energy to pump water.
HIA is an important approach for energy sector projects.
- HIA being done but not systematic.
- Take stock of current state of art - where are we now?
- Discuss challenges - methods and applications
- Identify gaps/issues to be addressed going forward.